MTUG Discussion Forum
Senior Network Engineer
Apr 4, 2017
Company: Martin's Point Health Care
Location: Portland, Maine
Responsibilities include the support and maintenance of LAN/WAN devices to include routers, multi-layer switches, load balancers, Firewalls, Wireless Access Points/Controllers, and Remote Access equipment. Perform proactive monitoring and reporting of network activity and performance. Implement and manage security requirements on LAN/WAN devices and services; troubleshoot and resolve network issues; offer technical assistance to users and IT colleagues; participate in after-hours efforts and on-call rotation.
- Responsible for the configuration and maintenance of the corporate enterprise network environment. This includes configuration, maintenance, troubleshooting, and monitoring of the network environment within the enterprise.
- Assists in designing, configuring and implementation of major network systems.
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining the reliability of the network infrastructure equipment and operating systems on multiple platforms.
- Performs root cause analysis for network outages or other business impacting issues.
- Conducts research and evaluates new industry hardware and software to stay current on emerging technologies, market trends, and future expectations. Evaluates and recommends hardware and software products.
- Participate in network projects; provide technical support of network architecture infrastructure and security devices.
- Completes trouble tickets and provides customer feedback
- Participate in the rotating “on call” schedule with other members of the team for providing support to the business and partners. Performs other duties as assigned.
- B.S. or B.A. degree in MIS, CIS, CS, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 7+ years network engineering/administration experience in a similar organization
Required License(s) and/or Certification(s):
- Cisco Certifications, i.e. CCNA, CCDA, CCDP and/or CCNP are highly preferred
Terms of employment may require the applicant/incumbent to qualify, obtain and maintain a Position Level of Trustworthiness from the U.S. Government Office of Personnel Management.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and alignment with Martin’s Point Values.
- Strong understanding of structured network design and the OSI Interconnect model especially how it relates to the design and deployment of structured networks is required.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of a range of networking architectures, services, products, and best practices to include.
- Expert knowledge of TCP/IP in order to understand current environment; grow environment in accordance with existing structure, and participate in future design
- Thorough understanding of IP Addressing and subnets as it relates to creating and maintaining the following: OSPF, VLANs, MPLS, QoS, BGP in order to independently support the environment when necessary
- Skilled in supporting and maintaining load balancers and content switches.
- Thorough understanding of and very experienced in supporting and maintaining multi-layer switches to include spanning tree and trunking.
- Skilled in supporting and maintaining IPS/IDS; creating reports and analyzing data from Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) systems.
- Excellent network analysis fundamentals and robust troubleshooting skills
- Ability to analyze and assess computer/network architecture requirements and determine optimum, cost-effective solutions
- Ability to analyze and solve complex LAN/WAN connectivity and performance issues
- Thorough understanding and solid skills configuring, maintaining and supporting Network Security utilizing Firewalls, Security Protocols, Radius, SNMP for the purpose of monitoring activities and maintaining the organization’s security posture and pro-actively protecting the network from breaches
- Knowledge and understanding of VoIP/telecommunications in support of a converged data and voice network.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to participate in this discussion.